Detecting Security Problems Using AWS
AWS is a subsidiary of Amazon providing cloud-based computing platforms. WOLK is certified to provide AWS Well-Architected Reviews. WOLK can track your IT performance around the clock to tackle any interruptions before they impact your business. Detecting security problems is critical to the success of your business.
AWS Well-Architected framework operates on the five pillars of Operation Excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance Efficiency, and Cost Optimisation. Security, the second pillar of AWS, refers to protecting your data, systems and assets. Before you architect a workload, security practices must be in place.
What does it mean to architect a workload? A workload refers to a collection of data and code that are integral to a business that will be planned, devised and scaled in a way that meets guidelines set out by Amazon. The AWS cloud executes an automated response to security issues.
Security: The Second Pillar
Within the pillar of security, seven design concepts can strengthen the security of AWS systems.
1. Implement a strong identity foundation means you should eliminate the use of long-term static credentials. Ensure there is a separation of duty when it comes to authorised personnel for interaction with AWS systems.
2. Keep people away from data suggests that you mitigate the risk for human error by reducing or eliminating manual processing of data. Use the automated tools available instead.
3. Prepare for security events by acting out simulated response situations.
4. Protect data in transit and at rest by organising it via levels of sensitivity. Use access control and encryptions for additional protection.
5. Automate security best practices to acquire a quicker response time when a security threat is detected.
6. Apply security at all layers by using multiple security controls.
7. Enable traceability by tracking changes in real-time so you can take action immediately if a security threat is detected.
Your security comprises five core components:
● Identity and access management
● Infrastructure protection
● Data protection
● Incident response
Detecting Security Problems
Detection is critical in enabling you to identify a security threat or misbehaviour. Detective mechanisms are part of the threat identification and response effort and can include elements like analysing logs from your workload.
Performing vulnerability management is vital in detecting security problems promptly. Scan for vulnerabilities in your digital infrastructure by using a third party static code analysis tool or a third party dependency checking tool.
Validating the integrity of your software can also help in detecting security problems. To do this, you’ll want to implement mechanisms that confirm software, code and libraries that are part of the workload are from a trusted source.
Identify Your Areas of Risk
WOLK is a leading partner of the AWS Well-Architected Review Program and can provide a review that identifies high-risk items for your company. You’ll receive an AWS service credit that will cover the majority of high-risk items during the remediation stage.